Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Chili Saga Part 2

For all my loyal readers out there. Yes you three there. Thanks for the recipes for the Chili cook-off. For anyone just tuning in, my husband requested I make "real chili" for our Trunk-or-treat as opposed to the usually hamburgerless black bean chili I make, which I didn't want to just add hamburger to because it just seamed wrong. I made a Celia/Cheryl hybrid. I learned a few things:
A. I should have gone with one or the other instead of choosing ingredients from both willy-nilly.
B. Hominy is not good.
C. It's OK to be different even if your husband is embarrassed by you.

And without further ado, my fancy secret recipe from the Westbrae Natural Beans can label:

3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 Cup onion, chopped
1/2 Cup green pepper, chopped
1 T Olive Oil
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t oregano
2 t chili powder
1 can black beans (or whatever), drained
1-14 oz can diced tomatoes
S&P to preference
1 cup grated cheese (optional) OR a couple dollops of daisy (optional)

Saute garlic, onion, pepper and spices in oil until onion is translucent, about 5min. Add remaining ingredients & heat. Serve over cooked rice, top w/ cheese.

(I pretty much double everything but the tomatoes when I make this because I like leftovers and my husband doesn't like tomatoes. You could also add cubed or shredded chicken.)

Oh and I almost forgot the unfunny punchline: Spencer never ate any of the Halloween Chili!

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

That Spencer. He always has been a trouble maker...

Anonymous said...

Okay so I'm seriously going to make this and then place a serious post about it. It sounds awesome.

Also, don't worry my husband doesn't like me to be too original in public things...like ward parties. Something about frothy chili - but that's another story.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Oh my gosh you are too funny. Sorry you didn't like hominy. Matt and I love it in chili.

randa_joy said...

Perhaps it was the brand I bought. They had no flavor at all.

Cheryl said...

jennifer--you are as usual--totally correct. spencer always has been a trouble maker.
i am making the black beans saturday for my paint til you faint class. they will go great with sweet pork tacos. yummy.

showlowhall@frontiernet.net said...

Hey this makes four!

Then there's Chris, the only thing I make that he will not eat is Chicken. He hates STINKING chicken!

Cheryl said...

the black chili was a hit at my paint 'til you faint day. everyone wanted the recipe. very tasty--i 3x's the recipe, and there was none left.

Breann Bryant said...

Dearest Randa Joy,
Oh how I miss your antics. You are one of the best people to listen to when you are telling a story. And reading it is sometimes even funnier. You are just fabulous.
Love ya girlie,
Breann