Thursday, December 22, 2011

Pa-rum-pum-pum-pum

 I always kind of rolled my eyes at the Little Drummer Boy song.  All I could hear was the "pa rum pum pum pum" over and over, so when I was in the car with Addelyn and it came on and she said, "This song says BUM-BUM!" I thought it was kind of funny but I started to explain the meaning of it.  We had a pretty good talk about what we can give to Jesus and we talked about what it meant to use our talents and how even if we have no money or gold like the wise men gave, we show Jesus we love Him by trying our best at whatever we do. I can try to be a better mommy and a better wife to daddy and she could try to be better at obeying and listening and being a nice big sister.  It was a good moment. One of those rare times where I felt like she got it. I've heard the song a few times since and it keeps making the tears well up.  The lyrics are simple and so beautiful. Here they are without the verbal drumming.


"Come they told me,
A new born King to see,
Our finest gifts we bring,
To lay before the King,
               
So to honor Him,  
When we come.

Little Baby,
I am a poor boy too,
I have no gift to bring,
That's fit to give the King,

Shall I play for you,
On my drum?

Mary nodded,  
The ox and lamb kept time,
I played my drum for Him,  
I played my best for Him,  

Then He smiled at me,
Me and my drum."

Good thing I have a sweet girl to teach me stuff, to make me think about what our finest gifts are, how every imperfect person is poor in some way and what it means to give our best. I love my little Addelyn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome. you are such a great mom! with the best gals.

Stephanie Shumway said...

What a happy post. I remember when I stopped being annoyed at that song and got it. It's now one of my favorites... besides the bum-bum parts :)