Monday, May 5, 2008

Movie Monday







I know I'm nerdy but I love watching Masterpiece Theatre on PBS, especially the "Classic" season. This spring they aired great versions of all 6 of Jane Austen's published novels. They showed my long loved favorite A&E version of Pride and Prejudice (1995). It is by far the best in terms of sticking to the novel, acting, direction, casting and costumes.



PBS also presented a new (BBC) version of Sense and Sensibility. The screenplay was written by Andrew Davies who did the above version of P&P. Now this may be slanderous to lovers of the 1995 version but I could never STAND Emma Thompson as Elinor because she was too old and she didn't display the "sense" and restraint that was supposed to be the opposite of her free-spirited sister. Also this Marianne is really cute, not annoying, and in the end it doesn't seem like she gives up and settles but that she comes to a realization in her "sensibility." In this new version the actors were wonderfully cast, the screenplay was great, and landscapes were beautiful. These are both very long, which bugs some people but to me it's all the more time to enjoy something I really like.

3 comments:

MelindaLou said...

Oh I'm sad I didn't know that PBS had played them. I love Jane A. she is amazing. And you are very right the longer the better if you have good actors, and well written scripts.

Anonymous said...

I want to see that! i liked sense and sensibility, but i too thought what's her name was too old looking, but i still enjoyed it, since that's all i knew at the time!

Patsy said...

Can you watch these onn the computer??