Monday, August 24, 2009

Last preggers post, honest

Numbers:

So I've always liked the number 25 because Christmas is on the 25th.
My birthday is also on the 25th, Addie was born on a 25th and she was my parents' 25th grandchild and I was 25 when I had her.
Tatum was due on the 25th so I was really focused on that date as the day she would definitely be here so that's maybe why I felt extra crazy when that day came and went. She ended up coming on the 2nd and I had to come up with some other TWOs. She is my second baby; she is 2 years younger than Addie and... That’s all I've got... but it's not nothing.

Group B Strep:

If you have been pregnant lately, you have probably heard of this. It's basically an infection that is harmless to the mother but can be deadly to the infant and is passed to them as the baby passes through the birth canal. If one tests positive for GBS one cannot have her membranes stripped to help gently induce labor. Also to greatly reduce the risk to baby, mom is given penicillin during active labor and mom and baby must stay in the hospital for 48 hours. Also

This is a conspiracy*. I hadn't really heard of many people having it until recently. "They" say that only 20-30% of moms have it but it seems like everyone I know that has delivered a baby recently has had it. The screening for it is done around 37 weeks. It comes and goes by itself and can't be treated before hand, just during delivery. Even if you want to be tested later, to see if you still have it your practitioner will probably tell you no because if at any time during your pregnancy you test positive for it a negative result will not eliminate the precautions taken against GBS.

My point is that I think one should be able to be tested again if one happens to get to be 39 or 40 or 41 weeks pregnant. Isn't a negative result as dependable as a positive result? I think it's just a way for hospitals to increase stays and inflate bills.

*It's probably not really a conspiracy and I realize this can be serious if one actually has GBS, so if you have tested positive for GBS please heed your doctor's instructions and ignore this crazy blogger's rant.


Also in case Tatum wonders how she got her name:


Spencer declared his naming rights early in the pregnancy since he let me have my way with Addelyn FAYE but didn't really seam diligent in researching baby names until about Tatum's due date and in my head she had been Jayne Isabell for several months. Spencer said the only reason he wouldn't consent to Jayne is because he says I have "a girl crush" on the author of the blog cjane, which is true but I really do love the name Jane. Anyway Teagan, Tatum, Tessa, and Hayden were on the short list as we headed to the hospital and we thought when she was born we would see her and one would just fit. Nope. Everything was awkward but Tatum seemed the least awkward and as with Addie, I didn't know what we were going with until Spencer showed me what he filled out on the birth certificate form. I call her Tatum some but mostly call her Baby or Grunts, Snorts, Squishy, Yummy Tummy, Snuffers or Tadie bug/bear. Addie calls her Baby Wheezy. My family calls her Izzie. And at least some of Spencer's fam calls her Tater-tot. Oh well.




My PINK babies:

I learned something from Tatum's creepy pediatrician who was actually not a pediatrician but a physician's assistant. Again, it is unwise to believe medical information found on a blog. I didn't know that blood type combinations (between mom and baby) influences whether or not one's infant has jaundice. Mom having type O and baby being type A, B, or AB can be bad. Mom having type A+ increases baby's chance of being PINK.

Exhibit A: (Addie 4 days old)



Exhibit B: (Tatum 3 weeks old)

4 comments:

T+C=N said...

I am totally with you on the GBS thing. I HATE that they made me stay in the hospital just so they could bug me every 4 hours to take his temperature. I COULDVE DONE THAT AT HOME!! GRR. are you guys going up to the reunion? love you.

Jennifer said...

I love your posts!

Anonymous said...

I love your pink babies!! They are so adorable!

Stacy said...

Hate that stupid blood test. I am sure my babies would come faster if I didn't have to wait for that stupid second dose of antibiotics before I could deliver. Interesting theory though. Glad you are doing well.