So we were scheduled for the prostaglandin gel induction at 7:30am Sunday morning. The nurse explained that after the application of the gel I would be monitored for an hour and then get to walk around for 40 minutes monitored again for 20 minutes and then do that process again up to two more times and if there was no progress I would be sent home. They gave me a bag of fluids via IV to make sure I was nice and hydrated. At 8:15am she checked me and applied the gel, I was dilated to a 1 and a half, as I had been for my last 3 visits w/ my midwives. I started cramping and contracting really quickly and by the time I got up to start walking the hallways I was having 15 second contractions probably every 2-3 minutes, then they admitted me. My midwife came in when I was around 3cm and then I guess left, thinking she would have time to go do some paperwork at the office and eat lunch and then come back and hang out for a couple of hours until the baby arrived. They must have started my first dose of penicillin around 11:30am because I remember thinking I had to not have the baby before 4:30pm so I could get the second dose in. From there everything is a blur. I have no idea what time anything happened because the contractions were just getting longer and closer together and more intense. I went to the bathroom and thought my water broke but the nurse said she still felt the sac and thought maybe it tore up higher but she made me stay on the monitor. At that point I was at 7cm and the nurse called my midwife. Next thing I know is I'm telling Spencer to tell me not to push because the last I heard I was at a 9 and the nurses tell me "Dr. so-and-so is coming to deliver the baby and Ramona (the midwife) is about 8 minutes out" and then the room is filled with more nurses and some woman, not sure if she is the Doctor or a midwife or a janitor, says "I can't tell you to push but... the baby's head is right there." And I'm like, "FRICK! why didn't you tell me that like 45 seconds ago? I still thought I was waiting for the green light," but of course I didn't really say that or really have time to think that because the baby was out in about 3 pushes at 2:52pm.
Apparently nurses aren't supposed to deliver babies so they can't tell the laboring mom to push but a simple "TEN!" would have been great. And apparently Ramona didn't get the message when I was at a 7. She got there in time to deliver the placenta and do my 2 stitches and apologize. I also wish I would have waited a couple more days to see if I would have gone into labor naturally even though I was getting "the crazies" because getting to a 3 or 4 over the period of a couple of days or a week is much nicer than getting there in a couple of hours. Wasn't exactly my dream delivery scenario but the result is perfect so who cares, right?

4 comments:
It is so amazing how the second delivery is so much quicker. I felt the same way. Some things I wish I could change and other things were perfect so... I guess I can't complain too much. She is darling though, isn't it great that nothing matters once they are here and healthy? I am so happy for you and I hope you are feeling well.
Yay! I am so glad you posted your story! She is so adorable! I can't wait to see her in person. Come to think of it, I haven't even seen Addie yet. We need to coordinate some NM trips!
she's a sweetie! you have beautiful babies!
you absolutely CRACK ME up!
I really think you could make money writing! Then Spencer could be Mr. Mom....
I love the number thing 25 this and that and then 2's.
I like this number
7 13 77
That's the day Cory was born.
I use it a LOT for passwords etc.
Post a Comment